Monday, July 17, 2006

Please Read This - or, with a little help from your friends / calling all the heros

My life has a theme tune. There are songs that can flood me with memories and turn me from animated storyteller reaching the comedy climax to battler of the overflowing tear ducts in opening bars. Some songs have stayed with me for years making a plethora of impacts, Everything but the Girl's amplified heart, Groove Amarda's sandunes, Eddie Reader's joke.

Others offer just a glimpse of a moment. Driving through the country lanes in Nicki's old banger singing the Beautiful Souths a little time or primal scream's (all together as one?), dancing with Gavin and Sam as the bats came in to roost against the sunset of Centennial Park in Sydney with Roisin Murphy stood resplendent in a viking helmet and royal blue costume drama dress seducing the audience with (Moloko's) cannot contain this, swooning in the arms of the street hockey player famous, momentarily, for being in a tango advert at Southborough village hall as a teenager to crowded house's weather with you.
My friends, family, lovers, are all set to music in my head. As are places, events, eras. There's wedding songs, funeral songs, passion tunes, break up anthems, songs to dance round the kitchen to, songs to put on when my world needs sunshine... so it seems only right there should be a soundtrack to give birth to.

Not only does that give me something to get excited about over the whole childbirth thing, but it means there's a chance me, mum and little sis can distract ourselves from the less glamorous aspects of labour by harmonising round the birthing pool. (Been there, done it's, sshhhh please if that's wildly optimistic!)

I've checked, it's allowed, so all I need now is a playlist.
Amy has somewhat predictably volunteered Wham (for those that don't know her, her musical world revolves round them), I'm your man and wake me up before you go go to be precise. I've bagged here comes the sun and never tear us apart. Dad's thrown in wild thing (I don't know who he's referring to, best not to ask) So that's the first quarter of an hour seen to. Just need another 38 or so hours to be on the safe side. So this is a plea to all of you beautiful blog followers to help me fill the time. There are no rules, you can play with the title, pick a song for it's soothing or uplifting virtues, bung something in cos you like it, work on the basis that your choices will be at least a distraction from pain, get witty, crude, cheesy or anything else you feel like being, as long as it's involved. Every song offered will be added from itunes to my ipod, or popped onto 'freddie's welcome' if I already have it and they'll be played on random during the labour. That way I get to feel the glow of having all my friends in the same room, without putting any of us through that at one moment when that wouldn't actually be pleasurable. There's no genre boundaries, I'll struggle to love thrash metal but I'll play it if you volunteer it, other than that my tastes are pretty prolific. You can volunteer the rationale or throw me the artist and title.

Please pass this round to anyone who knows me but doesn't visit here, and get your suggestions to me any way you fancy, email, text, here, letter, carrier pigeon.. but don't leave it too long to think about cos I could need them at any moment, you can always add more later if we get there.

I'm actually smiling at the idea of something connected to childbirth, how cool is that, and how cool are you lot for being so fabulous that I know you'll come through on this....

Joo T'adore

6 Comments:

At 17.7.06, Blogger Gruff said...

Going back 12 years or so, the artist that I most associate with you is Terrence Trent Darby. I'm not up on his back catalogue but I'm sure there must be a decent track there ;)

Other good tunes:

A New England - Billy Bragg or Kirsty Macoll

Anchorage - Michelle Shocked

Once the labour has started how about "Don't stop me now"?

 
At 18.7.06, Blogger The Gypsy said...

ah the memories, Tel and I at the Brixton academy then me being all giddy at his after gig party... t'were the days.

Yep, Sign your name, delicate and dance little sister will all get ipoded, as will your other suggestions.. though I may omit the don't and just sing ow, stop me now.

xxx

 
At 20.7.06, Blogger Gruff said...

Ok, my mp3 threw up two crackers today that I thought I'd suggest:

"I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing" - Pet Shop Boys

"The Glorious Day" - Amsterdam

You probably don't know the latter but it's a cracker.

I have others but as you are deluged I'll you be. However, bear in mind that www.allofmp3.com is incredibly cheap (9p downloads etc)

 
At 20.7.06, Blogger The Gypsy said...

Thanks Gruff

no problem with being deluded, happy to keep adding till i run out of time.
looking forward to discovering yuur taste


julie

 
At 20.7.06, Blogger The Gypsy said...

deluged even, but

I'll take the other too

 
At 20.7.06, Blogger Gruff said...

What would Freud say about that slip?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home